Reif Estate Winery has a rich history in Icewine production as a pioneer with our first vintage of Vidal Icewine produced in 1984. This 10 acre vineyard block on our 125 acre estate is still used today to produce our internationally acclaimed Vidal Icewine. The grapes for Icewine are picked in winter at temperatures of at least -8˚C so that only the highly concentrated juice is pressed from the frozen berries, leaving behind the icy water crystals. The result of these unique climatic conditions is a deliciously sweet wine with exceptional high concentration of sugars, acids and extracts from the grapes with intense flavours and aromas. Although Icewine was first produced in Germany in 1794 Canada is now the largest and best producer of Icewine.
Reif Estate Winery has enjoyed international acclaim for their Icewines for over 20 years. In 1987 our Vidal Icewine was named by renowned Wine Critic, Robert Parker Jr., as one of the year's Top Ten Wines. Since 1984 Reif's Icewines have received over 100 Gold Awards.
Award highlights include:
- Gold Medal at Vin Expo in Bordeaux
- Best Icewine Trophy at the International Wine Awards
- Gold at the Japan Wine Challenge
- Grand Gold at VinItaly
- Wine of the Year at the Ontario Wine Awards
- Best Sweet Wine Trophy at Cuvée Wine Awards
- Gold at Decanter Wine Awards
- Gold at International Wine Challenge
- Gold at International Wine and Spirits Competition